Good morning! I have our next healthy goal…
Healthy Goal #3:
Have you eaten breakfast yet? If you haven’t, please go eat something now, thanks! Here are some reasons why you want to be eating breakfast:
- Helps you eat less throughout the day
- Improves your concentration
- Have higher energy throughout the day
- Can help you weigh less than non-breakfast eaters
Now, you may not want to eat immediately after waking, but try to eat something within one hour after getting out of bed.
It can be something as simple as a piece of toast. Then you could eat a larger mid-morning snack. Make sure to include high quality carbohydrates (fruit, whole grains like whole wheat bread or oatmeal) and lean protein (yogurt, eggs, reduced-fat cheese).
Here are some easy ideas for breakfast:
- Oatmeal – ½ cup oats, 1 cup skim milk, ¼ tsp vanilla extract, ½ tsp ground cinnamon, & 2 TBSP walnuts
- Egg & cheese sandwich – 1 toasted whole wheat English muffin, 1 cooked egg topped with 1 sliced reduced fat cheese
- Quick French toast
- Homemade sausage, fruit, & glass of skim milk
You could also try something different for breakfast. If you are allergic to eggs, following a vegan diet, or want to avoid eggs for other reasons, here is a great option for a healthy & tasty breakfast:
Southwest Scrambled Tofu
- ½ cup extra firm or firm tofu, crumbled & smashed with a fork
- dash of turmeric
- ⅛ tsp salt-free Southwest spice blend, like The Delicious Dietitian Southwest Spice Blend
- ¼ cup salsa (low-sodium if possible)
- ¼ cup cooked black beans
- ¼ cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- ¼ avocado, diced
Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu & turmeric, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in Southwest spice blend, salsa, and black beans. Cook for 5 minutes until heated through. Immediately transfer to a plate and top with cheese & avocado. Enjoy!
Even if you hate tofu, you should try this! It really is good. I mean, doesn’t it look just like eggs?
*This recipe has about 1 serving of vegetables
This recipe is linked to Cara’s Cravings Love Your Heart – Heart Healthy Breakfasts!