Here’s an easy weeknight recipe that also happens to be inexpensive. The recipe is from Cooking Light, but I changed it a little. It is a light meal, so you could add a grilled cheese if you want.
Tomato Soup with Roasted Chickepeas
Based on this recipe from Cooking Light
Serves 3 for dinner, 4 for appetizer
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, from bottled roasted red bell peppers
- 2 TBSP olive oil, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, divided (3 minced, 5 sliced)
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ⅜ tsp salt, divided
- ¼ tsp ground red pepper
- ¼ tsp salt-free all-purpose seasoning, like The Delicious Dietitian Creole Spice Blend
- 2 ounces center-cut bacon, finely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 400°.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 3 minced garlic cloves; cook 1 minute. Add milk, chicken broth, and tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Add paprika, ¼ teaspoon salt, ground pepper, and salt-free seasoning; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool for 10 minutes. Add bell pepper to tomato mixture and use an immersion blender to puree.
Combine bacon and chickpeas in a roasting pan; drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil, cumin, and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Toss. Roast at 400° for 10 minutes. Stir in 5 sliced garlic cloves, and roast 10 more minutes. Ladle soup into 4 bowls; top evenly with chickpea mixture and parsley. Enjoy!